Friday 1 April 2011

Cabin Fever

So - we’ve spent 7 months in a caravan - and not once have I said “I’m bored” … there’s always been something to do, somewhere to go, someone to talk to either in person or friends and family back home on face book, telephone or Skype.  I’ve had the odd days when I’ve really missed the lads, family, Church - and yes - even work to some extent - I suppose the feeling of being useful and needed.  But I’ve never, in the whole seven months, felt that I want to do something so badly - but not known what it is that I want to do, or have the ‘get up and go’ to get up and do it!

Tonight though - well - I know what Cabin Fever is.  And I checked Dictionary.Com to make sure it was what I thought it was - and it is!  (noun … a state characterized by anxiety, restlessness, and boredom, arising from a prolonged stay in a remote or confined place - dictionary dot com)

We're staying in Lakes Entrance which is beautiful, and today we’ve had a lovely day out - visiting a couple of local towns, (well local as in within 50km radius - that’s about as local as things get in Oz!) having a wander around some shops at Bairdsdale, lunch with a black swan and some very noisy and greedy gulls at Metung…. visited a beautiful Homestead where I could quite happily live for the rest of my life (providing all my family and friends move over here too of course!), with views over the Lakes.  Absolutely beautiful!

Since we came back to the caravan I’ve brought the washing in from the line, folded and put away (no ironing - if it’s creased - put it to the bottom of the pile and hope the creases flatten out by the time you come to wear it again!); done a little bit of beading - but the light went so ended out squinting and couldn’t bead any more; played Monopoly Millionaires and Bejewelled on face book (not very well so gave that up as a bad job); chatted to Mark (Oz), Helen (UK) and Sheree (Oz) on face book - not all at once - so that took a while - isn’t modern technology wonderful - chatting to Helen in UK from Australia - (morning there, evening here); text Donna to see if baby making any signs of putting in an appearance yet (he/she isn't ... must be a boy as he's late and obviously far too comfortable where he is!) and phoned Dad; caught up on the couple of blogs I’m following - Sarah’s… she’s so talented - makes my blogs seem very mundane, and Nigel & Amanda’s … what a fantastic time they seem to be having in America; cooked tea - not very exciting - scrambled eggs on toast tonight; washed up and put away (not that there was much to wash up from scrambled eggs on toast mind!) and made endless cups of coffee for Geoff and hot water for me. 

It’s too dark to do my cross stitch or beading, I’m not in the mood for reading my book, I finished knitting my scarf yesterday …. yes, I’ve been knitting - I haven’t knit anything since before Carl was born 24 years ago!  Admittedly it’s only a scarf but I’m actually quite proud of my scarf - I wanted it to be chilly today so I could wear it - but the sun’s been shining.  I did have to ask in a craft shop for a reminder on how to cast off after a dream the other night that my scarf was about 43ft long ‘cause I couldn’t cast off and Elaine wouldn’t tell me how!  Geoff suggested a walk - but my foot’s been playing up and I can’t walk very far without being in pain so didn’t want to do that either.  A drink over at the Bowls Club - nahhhh… can‘t be bothered. 

So what’s left to do?   I refuse to go to bed before 8pm - not long to go now - but actually I’m really not that tired.  I bought a dart board and some darts the other day from the Op Shop (or charity shop) but it’s probably not very wise to play darts in the van - Geoff’s job for tomorrow is to fix somewhere safe for me to play. 

Hmmm - just thought - we haven’t been fishing today - maybe I’m getting withdrawal symptoms?????   Have I mentioned lately that I’m catching all the fish - oh and a couple of swimming crabs last night! 

No comments:

Post a Comment