Thursday 9 December 2010

Good Day Gone Bad ... (to hopefully Good Again)

Two nights free camping … (in Australia they have lots of free camping along the roadsides as there are thousands of people touring - loos and wash basins provided and usually somewhere to cook - free bbqs) - and we were awake bright and early on Wednesday morning.  By bright and early I mean about 5.00 am.  There were others in the site so we did our best to be quiet and were ready to move on at 6.30am - our earliest start yet!  Looked like we were all set for a good day!  

We set the sat nav to take us to Bundaberg - we were only about 13kms away.  A nice easy day.  We’d decided to book onto a paid site for the night - needed showers and to do some washing -  we found a lovely site just outside Bundaberg and right on the coast.  The office was open early 7.45 and he allowed us straight onto a pitch, just across the road from the beach and it’s a lovely spot.    Trying to be extra quiet as others were obviously still sleeping we put the caravan onto it’s plot and got the awning down etc.  Then a neighbour advised us we ought to turn the van around.  Ok - no hassle - we weren’t unhooked or anything so Geoff smartly turned the van around and I started sorting out inside while he did the bits and pieces outside - putting the legs down, awning out, unhooked the car etc.  

Just as I’m putting the kettle on there was a big bang and the caravan rocked and shook.  I thought that Geoff had got caught under the van so ran outside.  But no, the jockey wheel, which the caravan stands on while you set up, had slipped off its blocks - so no great hassle really.  Except - Geoff saw me come charging out with a look of horror on my face and promptly reversed the car into a tree - even bigger bang!  Geoff ….. Not …… Happy … at …. All   !!!!  Hmmmmmm

Geoff went off to the wreckers yards to hunt down a new back door for the car - while I set to with the washing and went for a shower.  Except - the key for the shower block was in the car - so I ended out having a cold shower in another block!  Ruth…… Not……. Happy!  Then to top it all - I dropped my towel in the puddle of water so had to try to get dry on the little dry corner of the towel.   I got the washing out of the machine and carried it to a clothes line near our van - but - it was all boggy and I got sloppy muddy feet!  Ukkkk!
 

Thankfully Geoff was able to buy another  back door for the car for just $100 and we’ve (well mostly Geoff but I did help a bit) spent the past 3 hours sorting it out!  So now - to add to Geoff’s list of jobs he’s done while he’s been here is mechanic too!  Though …. if he hadn’t reversed the car into the tree in the first place …….   

Why is it that some days turn out that way and you wish you’d just stayed in bed!

                 
Off to the beach now - the day just gotta get better!!!

2 comments:

  1. Reading that soooo reminded me of my letters to my Mom whilst Terry and I were travelling! Such is life!! :)) Am really enjoying folloiwing this blog! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too lumpy :) It is great to read of your adventures Ruth. I am of course not remotely jealous *sobs*
    It looks and sounds fab! x

    ReplyDelete